Health and Well-being
What Matters Statements
- Developing physical health and well-being has lifelong benefits
- How we process and respond to our experiences affects our mental health and emotional well-being
- Our decision-making impacts on the quality of our lives and the lives of others.
This Area can help learners to understand how decisions and actions impact on themselves, on others and on wider society, both now and in the future. It can also help learners understand the factors that influence decision-making, thus placing them in a better position to make more informed and considered decisions.
- How we engage with social influences shapes who we are and affects our health and well-being.
This Area can help learners understand the important role of social influences on their lives. These influences are comprised of rules, social norms, attitudes and values that are created and reinforced by different social groups. It is through interaction with social groups that we experience these influences. They affect our identity, values, behaviours and health and well-being, and often do so without our being aware of it.
- Healthy relationships are fundamental to our well-being.
This Area can help learners understand and value how feelings of belonging and connection that come from healthy relationships have a powerful effect on health well-being.